Spring Street International School is a close-knit community dedicated to helping students from diverse backgrounds find their voice and passion. We build problem-solvers, team-players, learners, and leaders through advanced academics and hands-on curriculum in a safe and beautiful setting.
We believe in…
Relationships: Our teachers are mentors and guides, engaging students inacademic inquiry and creating space to discover what ignites them.
Individuals: Every child is unique and deserves a unique education. We teach students, not classes, and tailor courses of study, assignments, and skill development around the needs of each individual student.
Creativity: Characterized by the ability to perceive the world in new ways, to make new connections, and to innovate solutions, creativity thrives in our unique environment. Our students develop their own opinions and critical thinking.
Experience: Learning emerges from doing and experiencing. Our students are not stuck at a desk. They work in groups, they lead, they present, they go beyond the walls of a classroom.
Community: From individual relationships to global connections, our humanties define our personal experience and guide our actions.
At A Glance
Spring Street International School is an independent, college prep, co-ed day and boarding school.
- Location: Friday Harbor, Washington, is a town on San Juan Island (population 7,000), approximately 70 miles northwest of Seattle. San Juan Island is one of the four major islands and is accessible by ferry or plane.
- Grades Served: 6-12
- Student Population: 120 students, including 100 day and 20 boarding students from the U.S. and other countries
- Student/Teacher Ratio: 8:1; average class size of 14
- Founding Date: 1995
- Accreditation/Membership: Cognia, National Association of Independent Schools, Washington Federation of Independent Schools
- Facilities: A two-acre campus in town, including nine classrooms, a science lab, a new art studio, and 5,000 square foot residential hall.
- Teaching: 20 full and part-time teachers, 45 courses including Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Systems, Science Inquiry, Creative Writing, AP Literature, AP Psychology, US Constitution, AP Spanish, AP Calculus AB and BC, Genius Hour, Studio Art, Music Composition, Theatre, and ESL. 70% of Spring Street faculty hold a Master’s or higher degree.
See more fast facts here.