Take your writing to the next level! Come to Friday Harbor and discover why more writers and artists live here than any other place in Washington. At the Young Authors Program, you will spend two weeks writing in Friday Harbor on beautiful San Juan Island. Be inspired by the program’s award-winning authors, the amazing surrounding beaches, orca whales, numerous cafes, sunsets, and forest trails. Friday Harbor is a safe, quirky town where you can explore, make friends, and have fun. In the morning, you will dive into generating work and learning more about your craft in small workshop classes. Afternoons and evenings will provide opportunities for you to:
- meet visiting authors for small craft workshops specific to your work;
- work one-on-one with visiting authors, peers, and editors;
- write with others or on your own;
- explore the town of Friday Harbor and its surrounding beaches, art museum, local artist studios, and cafes.
Room and board includes accommodations at Spring Street International School’s spacious and comfortable residential hall and locally sourced meals prepared by our residential chef. Come discover our island for yourself – and what you have to say while you’re here. Our dedicated team of writers and editors is ready to help you leverage your current passion and skills, learn new techniques, build a community of writers, and push your writing to the next level. Come write with us!
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:00 am: Breakfast
- 9 am – 10:30 am: Writing Class I
- 10:30 am – 11 am: Break
- 11 am – 12:30 pm: Writing Class II
- 12:30 pm: Lunch
- Afternoons: Time to write and explore the town and the islands
- 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm: Guests & Panel Discussions
- 7 pm – 8 pm: Dinner
- 8:30 pm: Participant and Guest Readings
Program Costs for 2020*
- Regular: $2,200
- Tuition for Students from San Juan County: $1,600
*2022 program costs to be determined; we will not have our summer program in 2021.
Summer Program Instructors
Contact the Director
- Bella Bledsoe