Marine Field & Lab Research Summer Program: June 20 – July 16, 2021
Paradise for Scientific Investigation
For years, students from the San Juan Islands have benefited from living and studying near the University of Washington, Friday Harbor Laboratories, and many have earned the chance to engage in active research through pre-college mentorships with working scientists. Salish Sea Sciences opens up this incredible opportunity to students from around the world, bringing together up to 18 motivated pre-college students ages 14-18 for a month of intensive field and lab science, science communication, adventure, life skills, and fun—forging career pathways that take you where you want to go.
- Develop your scientific literacy.
- Learn from working research scientists.
- Participate in active investigations.
- Experience the scientific life.
For a month, Spring Street International School’s spacious and comfortable residential hall becomes a home in which students take responsibility for their mutual well-being, cooking for each other and hosting guest scientists with the guidance of experienced staff, forming friendships to last a lifetime.
- Phase 1: Scientific processes, field & lab research
- Phase 2: 5 day/4 night longboat expedition
- Phase 3: Individual capstone projects & presentations
- 7:00 – 8:00am – Wake up & breakfast
- 8:00 – 12:00pm – Field research, intertidal zone
- 12:00 – 1:00pm – Lunch
- 1:00 – 3:00pm – Scientific drawing workshop
- 3:00 – 3:30pm – Break & snack
- 3:30 – 4:30pm – Intertidal data analysis
- 4:30 – 5:00pm – Personal time
- 5:00 – 6:00pm – Evening prep
- 6:00 – 8:30pm – Dinner w/guest presentations
- 8:30 – 9:00pm – Discussion; blogging
- 9:00 – 10:00pm – Evening activities10:30pm · Lights out
To learn more and apply to this and other programs, please visit the Salish Sea Sciences website www. salishseasciences.org or contact Executive Director, Caroline Grauman-Boss 360-622-9883.