Loving to travel, Cynthia taught in Rio de Janeiro prior to moving to Berkeley, California, and then to the Hawaiian Island of Kauai. She helped to co-found the Kauai Childrens’ Discovery Museum and the EXPLORE School-within-a-School at Kapaa Elementary School and obtained a NOAA watershed grant for the Hawaii BWET program for two experiential learning classrooms (grades 4 and 5) where the students work is authentic data collection used for national research. Cynthia also obtained grants to pilot one of the first Apple schools in the nation, helped to secure several million dollars to bring innovations, science, technology and the fine arts to all classrooms for all children in a high poverty public school. She is honored to have been the Executive Coordinator for San Juan Island Prevention Coalition for the past 14 years, and the San Juan County Prevention Coordinator for seven years.
- BS, Education and Psychology, State University of New York, Oswego
- MEd, Curriculum Studies, University of Hawaii, Manoa
- MEd, Early Childhood Education, California State University, Hayward; UC Berkeley
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Kauai Community Facilitator
- Total Quality Management and Learning Hawaii State Trainer
- LSJI graduate, 2007; Director, 2009; Board 2007-2014